FREE Newborn Posing Guide AND Ultimate Tips and Tricks Guide
Subscribe by email to receive it
Now that you’ve got your mind around the importance of goal-setting and taking action (that was initially addressed in PART I), I thought it might be a good idea to get a little more detailed about the process involved in setting and achieving your goals.
I enlisted the wickedly awesome Karen Carey’s wisdom in providing some tips that she uses in her own very successful photography business (by the by, Karen also offers a wicked Art and Commerce weekend workshop for photographers – which I took myself, and which I highly recommend if you want to take your business to the next step).
Karen offered the following in two parts (based on her research and reading of Zig Ziglar):
How to Set Goals:
- Evaluate where you are.
- Decide where you want to go.
- Begin looking and acting the new part.
- Put up a visual reminder of the goal.
- Begin with baby steps and celebrate each step along the way.
- Expect it to be challenging, but remember that you don’t “pay the price for success” if you “enjoy the price you pay for it.”
Principals of Goal Setting:
- Make sure your credibility is at stake. This is your biggest motivator.
- Make sure your goal is your own. You can’t achieve someone else’s goal.
- Make sure your goal involves a BIG outcome. In order for your goal to be effective it must affect change.
- Make sure you are committed to the long range outcome. Go as far as you can see and the rest will be revealed.
- Make sure your goals are specific and measurable. Break them down into daily and weekly units.
- Make sure that you get started. You can’t achieve anything in your head. Write it down then get started walking it out.
Thanks Karen. Great list.
Now, to tie in to what Karen offered – I’d like to add some final words of wisdom about goals that are specifically related to making money. Danielle Laporte of White Hot Truth (who I think totally ROCKS, by the way) suggests that you shoot for a number that you feel will make you happy and content versus a number like ‘six figures’ or ‘a million dollars’. This, of course, will require more time on the front end but lends weight to the general theme of being clear about what you want and need. You can find a wicked post by Danielle about money and lessons learned – HERE.
- Evaluate your needs and where you want to go
- Develop daily, weekly and monthly plans of action
- Keep a clear vision in your mind of your desired outcome(s)
- Do something that moves you closer to your vision EVERY SINGLE DAY
Thanks for visiting – and remember, don’t forget to subscribe by email or RSS feed over in the sidebar on the right!